Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vert-Mag Gibberish!

Vert Mag interviewed me this morning,thanks bOYS!Here is the link to the actual page and below is the interview in english for your reading pleasure.

1. You came to Pipe as a unknown rider and now everyone asks "who's this jarred houston?". So, can you tells just a small bio about yourself? Your age, what's your home place, when did you started bodyboarding and do you have any kind of trophies?

Hey man,thanks so much for this oppurtunity!Il happily answer these for ya!

Im 20 years old and I come from Cape Town,South Africa!I started Bodyboarding when I was 11 years old and never looked back,my parents moved from an inland Wine town to the coast when I was 14 so I could pursue Bodyboarding more actively.I have competed on the South African tour or many years,in 2005 I was SA champ,In 2006 I was the National Tour champion and I have won most of the events on the tour at different stages throughout my career.

2. Was it your first time in Pipe event? If so, how do you feel after getting to the finals and leaving some big riders behind?

This was my 2nd time in hawaii and my 2nd year competing at Pipe.Through my South African ranking I was able to get a round 6 start in this years event.The feeling of getting to the finals was absolutely mindblowing.I worked hard last year,living away from home in Australia and coming to hawaii early to train.But the feeling was absolutely insane,the best day of my life so far for sure!

3. Who was the hardest to beat during your heats? And, from what you've seen, who surfed best?

The hardest person too beat was definitly Tamega,I had been in Hawaii since december and seen him surf daily,it was very imtimidating to go up against him and he beat me the first time in the 1/4's,so I was very stoked to be able to catch him in the Semi's.Definitly a standout for me!I was very angry to have Mark Mccarthy in 1/4 final heat,as he has been there since the beggining for me and I really wished we could of met in the final instead of so early on!Amuruy-speling-was a very deserving winner though,both years I have been he has been a clear standout in the surf,so im ecstatic for him too!

4. I heard you did a special training of 3 months in hawaii. Was that a very important factor for your performance?

It was definitly a major contributor to my performance.Pipe is a special place and I feel I had the advantage of feeling comfortable out there during the contest this year.We had Pipe over 10ft over 30 times this season so that really helped me!

5. Will you be attending to some more world tour events? What about Portugal, will we be able to see you here in the Grand Slam event of Sintra?

I will do my very best to attend the key tour stops this year,Id really like to stay in the postion I am now for the rest of year,at the moment I cant afford to do the tour as it all comes out of my own pocket,but hopefully I can work something out!Id love to compete and do well at Sintra I think that event looks amazing

6. What are your sponsors at this time?
My sponsors are Science Bodyboards,Limited Edition Fins,Emerald Surf City and IAMMONSTER clothing.


Thanks a lot mate and a big congrats for your result!! Keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment